Post Title: Cultural Heritage Specialist
Organisation: Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage (ARC-WH)
Location: Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Closing Date: 18 April, 2017
Applications: Please use the below form to submit your details and CV to apply for the job
Background of ARC-WH:
The Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage was established as a Category 2 Centre under the auspices of UNESCO to strengthen the implementation of the 1972 World Heritage Convention in the Arab region. The main functions of ARC-WH are to:
1. Disseminate information related to the World Heritage Convention.
2. Strengthen capacity building in the field of World Heritage.
3. Provide logistic and financial support to World Heritage stakeholders in the region.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the ARC-WH the main responsibilities of the incumbent include design and implementation of programmes pertaining to cultural world heritage in the Arab Region including promotion of the convention and protection and management of properties.
Main Tasks include:
1. Assist the State Parties of the region in the identification, assessment and conservation of potential and existing World Heritage properties.
2. Contribute to the formulation and preparation of project proposals, work plans, and strategy documents in coordination with other team members.
3. Assist in maintaining close cooperation with World Heritage Stakeholders in the region and develop joint activities to respond to national, sub regional and regional needs.
4. Develop programmes and work plans for capacity building including training courses, workshops and serve as a trainer when appropriate.
5. Undertake missions, organize and participate in technical meetings and seminars.
6. Provide regular inputs for website, press releases, speeches, presentations, and reports.
7. Prepare reports on compliance of assigned scope of work indicating progress towards expected results.
8. Perform any other related tasks as deemed appropriate by the Director.
9. Coordinate with the Natural Heritage specialist in ARC-WH on Combined sites and any relevant technical activity.
· Advanced University Degree in one of the fields relating to Cultural Heritage Conservation such as: archeology, architecture, urban planning, cultural management or human and social sciences.
· Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in cultural heritage conservation or management.
· Knowledge of the World Heritage Convention is required.
· Experience at an international or regional organization would be an asset.
· Working knowledge of Arabic is required, in addition to at least one of the two World Heritage Convention’s official languages (English and French).
· Ability to work and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders and partners.
· Experience in developing and implementing programmes, projects in the field of cultural heritage conservation.
The employment package includes an annual basic salary starting from US 59,000 in addition to an attractive benefit package including: home travel, housing allowance, educational grant for dependent children and 30 days annual leave.
The initial appointment is for two years, including a probationary period of 6 months, and is renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
The ARC-WH prepared and presented the report documenting the n
The Arab States Region continues to face tremendous challenges in r